Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Life in "New York" of India

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not posting in the last 15 to 20 days of which half the time I spent in Mumbai (in fact this post is from Mumbai too) . I am here for the design of a project. In fact, my nomination here was based on the pick of the straws and as luck might have it, I came up with the shortest one. The reason?? Well this city has no soul, full of disconnect, extremely high pollution (maybe in further Health Insurance policies, they should take into account the number of times one visits Mumbai) and the water supplied is considerably hard being near the sea cost (it results in rampant hair-loss!!!). Only those who can absorb these anomalies, can fit into this city (which is actually over 12 million people). Hey, I am more human than they are!! For a culturally gifted country, Mumbai is almost a confusing place - exposure levels are at the highest, smoking is a way of life, celerating all festivals are a must but then communalism also runs high, highest amount of young couples (I've seen) are here and most of them are immature in many ways (though I'm no judge of maturity, lot of incidents opened my eyes on this) and of course a extremely high cost of living (surprisingly, this is overlooked and lavish spending is a way of life - man, what a lot of money people have here!). Being in this rut of a place, especially without my wife and moreover the tensions at workplace - well there is nothing else logical than to hate this place on the planet. It wasn't this bad even when I was in Princeton!! And to compound all the irritations, the road I take to office (of all the good roads in Mumbai) is under construction (part of the governments 'Golden Quadilateral' project) and every day, twice, I am tossed around like a ball in the back seat of my ride. Wonder why is this a 'heaven' for the 12 million+ population??
And coming back to technologies, now my battle is with JSF. Barely had I managed to do something with JSR 168 and WebSphere Portal, I was "crowned" the expert to now add JSF along with them. Another fight, but I guess that's how the software community works. And I definitely like it, which I guess helps me boost my enthusiasm. And somehow, I have a feeling this time the wall is much higher to scale and I might find myself in really hot water!!
Apart from that, there is this book titled "5 Point Someone" by Chetan Bhagat - a masala, fast paced, enjoyable book. Its a good book to spend some time on for some hilarious anecdotes and an embedded love story. Other than that, I'm currently reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. Will give comments on that soon. Otherwise life is moving fast and I'm all excited to be going back to Bangalore this weekend and then relaxing since this weekend (as well as the next) is a long one. I also promise to blog more often too.