Sunday, May 22, 2005

Proxy me please!!

Finally a solution to reduce the load on the server - put a proxy caching server in front of it. After days of struggle and long hours at work, my determined boss finally got the proxy caching to work. Well lot of short-cuts and forbidden paths undertaken, but the we fnially got the performance imporvement we wnated on a non-clustered environment. To put it simply, we put a proxy server in front of our web server & application server so that all the users get the content that is cached (it is updated periodically) in the proxy server instead of requesting our servers who serve real-time information. Please note - a way to relieve stress. So, can I put a proxy in front of me at work so that all static and monotonous requests can eb served by the proxy while I am enjoying my life?? This whole week I've not spent any quality time with my wife and she's already mad with me for making her run through everyhting from grocery shopping to birthday parties.
But the best part is I still manage to amaze myself most of the times (if you guys did not get me - modesty is not my virtue). I have managed to work on everyone elses modules when I had not written any myself in offshore. And I'm no geek in java!! And all this after members in my team said - "there is no way you'll make changes in the code since you did not write any". I think there is someone out there who definitely looks out for me and I'm very grateful to that 'someone'. Me looking forward to lot more fun in the coming weeks and put all this behind me.