Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Debate - new topic yet again!!

Yes folks - another new topic to debate on though for this one I'll try not take sides. The topic is -
"Should a person's appraisal/promotion depend on the performance/capabilities or the experience?"
We newer B-school pass outs would vouch for the former while the old school of thought would go along with the latter. The reasons are simple - path of progress for individual holds the key and experience is a wiser teacher than books. But the first thing I was taught at the B-school was "increasing share holders wealth" which by my simple brain calculation means organization comes first. And stupid being me, have always believed in this. But like my dad always told me, charity is not something to be indulged in when one is a beggar. And the sad part is I never have thought of myself as a beggar. I've always gone along with the decisions, whether right or wrong for my individual perspective, but then as everyone can still see I still get the lowest salaries among batch mates, struggle for almost everything in life and like most losers have lost hope in dreaming for something for myself since meeting my other dear ones need is the higher priority.
On the other hand, bookish knowledge is no great tutor. The vast experience of doing things right and wrong accounts for some amount of points compared to a few people's judgment on ability. And moreover, a leader who has not tasted or understood failure is a risky proposition for the organization. Its equivalent to the fact that riding a bicycle slower is harder than doing the same faster.
But the end result is the fact that given the open market for jobs, the facts for judgment are governed by performance in past, capability, employee morale, retention and organizational value. The major fact I notice missing in my current organization as in many is the last one - organizational value. Higher ups are very evident of the threats posed by bright sub-ordinates and it generally ends in company loosing a valuable person or employee losing faith in the system leading to poorer performances. In either case, organizational goals take a hit and hence decreasing shareholder wealth. But in any case, I'm no Peter Drucker!!