Friday, June 17, 2005

Diamond or carbon - subtle choice

It’s not exactly been a bright day at work, especially the fact that the weekend is looming. I've been unable to sleep the whole night with strange thoughts in my dreams. All I've been doing is finishing up things that I needed to have completed at least 2 days ago. There is a lot of research that’s been waiting for my attention and also need to solve a lot of implementation issues. I hate doing this. Not that I cannot do this, but then solving these easily does not impress on higher-ups the fact that I'm capable. Not that I ever think capability is a factor considered for getting to a higher responsibility level. I'm slowly realizing the fact that there is a lot of ability in me that’s being unused. I know for a fact that my financial ability and number playing is extremely good but then after 2 years of latency on this skill, it’s something I feel I'm loosing out on.
I also have a good feeling on project management but I need a little more dabble with the marketing to be sure that I can handle it. According to me, project management is the true outlook of management that utilizes the all-round ability of the manager. The manager has to make the numbers look good, do proper allocation, needs to have knowledge of operations of the field he/she is in, run it successfully and before that plan/strategize it accordingly and sell his plans to superiors and client. A total all-round ability and the icing on the cake - politics involved in every stage. Operations and finance I am confident of handling, resource allocation and planning/strategizing I can improvise with time but marketing is something I've never messed with till now. So guys in project management, you actually are not relishing the pressure you are into. It’s the same as driving a beautiful vehicle at top speeds without ever waiting to enjoy the sounds and mechanics behind it. Till you relish pressure, you are still a piece of carbon resisting to be converted to a diamond.