Thursday, June 09, 2005

Splendid San Francisco

Finally a place in the US (after San Diego) that I found to my liking - San Francisco or SFO in common terms. A beautiful and green city, with a decent amount of fellow countrymen and locality and a interesting yet down-to-earth downtown. I visited Fremont (places where my friends lived, Indian temple with more authenticity, Indian restaurant) and downtown - Golden Gate Bridge (it was truly a long and high suspension bridge that looks strikingly beautiful in reality than the cold purpose for which it was built), Lombard Street/Crooked Street (nothing can describe the drive up the steep incline of Lombard to stop totally at the stop sign an the very top while coming from the Golden Gate bridge and then through the curves of crooked street and finally down the incline of Lombard again), Pier 39/Fisherman's Warf (a section we can see a lot of street musicians, robot men, hilarious scenes, sea elephants/lions (I actually don't remember what they were) and of course 'machli bazaar' where you can see a lot more than 'machlis') and Union Square (gives one more of the feeling of NY downtown which I am not a fan of). I was also pleasantly surprised to see the greenery and have to acknowledge the fact that it is colder at night, perfect to my liking. The only reason why I would rate San Diego above SFO is for the simple fact that the place has more open space and things here are simple compared to the big cities. And not to mention that I loved the drive from SD to SFO and reverse route. Wonder how it would be if I had taken the scenic route instead of the 7.5 hrs short drive (for the simple fact that I wanted to drive all the way)?
Definitely would love to spend more time in this city than the 1.5 days I spent on the last weekend. Looking forward to being in more such cities too!!