Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Give a chance.........

One of the commonly heard phrase in many interviews I have taken - "given a chance sir, I assure you that I can pick up the technology quickly.......I am a quick learner and a hard worker".

I am a big believer that one should not see the the deficiencies in a candidate but see how to utilize their strengths. But in this rat race with a quicker pace in new developments, where is this chance that needs to be given to someone to develop their strengths or even find out their strengths? Companies are run with such tight budgets that the "bench" we had for parking such candidates has gotten shorter and its close to being a "chair". No one wants to listen about this being an investment and those who listen can hardly fight a battle of diminishing budgets. I always feel a pinch of hurt in my heart on hearing this, since I came up from the same "town"- the difference is that I was in an era where the rat race did not have this many rats and things were just getting to heat up. So I am eternally grateful in getting more time to prove myself and getting to where I am today, while someone who maybe a million times better than me is still waiting for that "chance".

One of the ideas I have is, every program should be run like an organization - manage its revenues and costs. The training should be a joint investment by all the programs across the organization and the stake will be decided by the program owner. Based on the investment and stakes, the talent should be picked up from the training pool and yes, the training team should be accountable. I know that there are loopholes in what I propose, but those are somethings that can be plugged adn more importantly, talent is given a chance and nurtured.