Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Facts that haunt and a nice one

Boy it was a hectic night - first fight the sleep, in the process do the work and then realise after one hour that the code is not working because of a spelling error?!! Anyways now that is the past, a milestone reached (not exactly successfully since I'm still slogging at it, but not a worry) and time to worry about where my ife is going.
Thats comes to who I am and what am I good at. A mechanical engineer, armed with a MBA (not to forget that its a diploma) doing the work of software development with a little bit of here and there activities of project management. Compared to my friends and backed by the records of "Rank-Holder" (though personally it means nothing more than a piece of paper issued by the university (and of course the medals) which no one even considers worth looking) in both BE and MBA, I seem to be working for a pittance compared to many of batch mates. Not that I dislike my work (its challenging and engaging), but should I be earning more that what I currently do. And the nature of work, according to the market (for my qualifications), says I should be that high-flying executive having meetings after meetings and making decisions for my company. I do believe that I have what it takes to do it and also know my limitations. But what happens to the part when I am supposed to get the right opportunity? Did the script-writer of my life actually forget to put that part in? My uncle says "Look for a God-Father (a.k.a mentor) in the organization since God-Father also look out for God-Sons". But why would someone even think about mentoring me when they all are busy fighting the part scripted for them. And if I'm to find someone who is not in the rat race, either I should be introduced to their leagues or I would be with a loser (who also is apparently not a part of the rat race). There is no way I can walk into the office of Narayan Moorthy and ask him to be my mentor!!! Well I guess I still ahve to fight in the rat race, but the only consolance (for my psyche) is that I believe "Sincererity never goes un-rewarded". So I'm sure that the opportunity is going to come up soon and when it does, this "warm-up" part in my life will help me face it.
BTW, I thought it would be nice to tell my wife about my blog. And, in all my contemplations, one fact for sure is - "She is the best thing that ever happened to me in life". So all un-married people, its time to get into the muddle and you will realise that two people are better than one. And hey, the catch is choosing the partner.
;-)