Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Whats with ability when number of years count??

This is one thing I've always wondered about - who looks at ability when they go by thumb-rule that if you have spent a number of years, you are automatically blessed with ability. Maybe thats why people like Narayan Moorthy had to move out and start out on their own. Its probably the "most st###dest" thing a manager can do. Its soon going to be difficult to keep the ability within the same organization. I'm not advocating that all resposibility be give to the able guy without the years under his belt, but then keep the person involved.
HBR quotes:
"To manage is to bring out the positive energy that exists naturally within people. Managing thus means inspiring and engaging, based on judgement that is rooted in context".
This context shouldn't be the biased to number of years. Anyways I am tired of being work that is only technically challenging and keeping me away from my skills that I believe are more people oriented. I came back to my first employer with the hope of started indulgement in management skills, but unfortunately no one believes in givng me a chance. Maybe I too should step out and try doing things out on my own. Or maybe I should be patient, a virtue that conviniently avoided by me all the time. But you know what, I just might make a good manager, and some one else might crib about me :)
My wife would definitely like a better say in this regard!!!!!