Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Fun @ work

This was a term coined by Payal while she was a part of the branding exercise of HR at Tata Elxsi during her summer internship. The HR prooudly hosted this section for about a couple of years. She is always the creative half of 'Harpal' while I generally tend to be the logical half - similar to the left brain-right brain concept. The best part of course is that I do not need to be any different since she makes up for my weakness and in her case, I would like to assume the same. She is the one who actually opened my eyes into the concept of enjoyment at the work place. I wouldn't call myself a workoholic though I would go to any lengths to ensure that the task given to me is completed. And I've never been an epitome of concentration more than a few hours. I generally like to take a walk around and see what everyone else is doing while all my problems are processed in the background (I would like to think this is true). And most of the time this break usually helps achieve my objective. I do believe in fun at the work place and I generally disturb others (generally everyone is kind enough not to shout at me and when they want to be rude, they just ignore me) to ensure that they too take a few seconds off work and learn to relax. When I get a team, I shall sure ensure that everyone has their share of fun. Of course the fun does not exactly mean party, but a totally silent atmosphere gives me the creeps. Also this means that you are enjoying the work. And when this happens that means that the job is good.
Anyways, Payal would also tell me that bragging is another habit I have and I generally prove it. But then is putting down my thoughts bragging?? Well I guess sometimes it is, but I would like to see it in another way.