Friday, July 15, 2005

Thoughts during the merger

For 2 years during my MBA I was confronted with change management. Payal and me have always had discussions over change management and most case-studies had always an aspect of change management. I always planned for a lot of scenarios for change management, but then one aspect they forgot to highlight was the psycological state. My company (Tata Infotech or TIL) has merged with TCS and this happened on a Friday evening (after Indian working hours). This was an event that occured atleast 3 months early for me though pretty much on the cards. But then this unexpected event has blanked out my mind. It only has questions of uncertainity - what happens to my project? What is my base location? What is my position with respect to immigration in the US? How will I be treated? Being part of such a vast ocean, will my career ambitions have to be thrown out? Will I be layed off? Do I need to quit and join another organization to achieve what hopes I ahd from my previous company? And so on....................
I joined TIL from engineering, left it to do my MBA and rejoined as soon as I had the opportunity. A set of people and working culture definitely unique to itself. It also gave a lot of freedom to individuals. I'm sure lot of talent stayed back in TIL (inspite of the low pay) because they were in love with the organization and now they might go looking for something they want. I'm glad atleast I was there when the entity TIL diminished in the horizon to join TCS while at her peak with her head held high.
I'm not against the merger, since business-wise, organization-wise, employee-wise and other-wise it is definitely good. Its just that it was so unexpected and that no one even communicated anything to take care of the employee psyche other than a generic letter from the chairman.
Arun, Jayesh, 25% of NIE Mechanical junta of 1999 and Ramadorai - here I come to be a part of your organization and I sure am looking forward to a positive and growth oriented stint with you guys both for the organization and myself.
Tata Infotech - I shall miss you in everyway.