Friday, October 28, 2005

Dedicated to the NON-BELIEVERS




Name: Carrot
Scientific Name: Daucus carota

Today was another day that I had a debate over the colors in a carrot. In India, the south pre-dominantly see only carrots in 'orange' color while in the north we can also see 'red' color. However, its believed that the 'red' ones are sweeter than the 'orange' ones and hence we use the former to prepare 'gajar ka halwa' which, I must add, is one among my favorite desserts. Like usual, people do not believe in the 'red' color of the carrot - some outright deny the existence of that and other call it 'pink'. Either people want to see the colors they want to (there cannot be much hope in this case) or they are plain ignorant. And more over, when I went to Bhopal to my in-laws place, I made it a point to get a picture of the 'red' carrots. Still folks accuse me of getting the carrots painted in red or saying that the tip is 'orange' and hence they are not 'red' carrots. And the people I had argument with today, well they are the hopeless case. They see what they want to and hear what they want to - and believe that world is perfectly predictable. Lets toast to their belief and one would be very naive if they believed in such innocence existing in the work. The truth - eccentricity is their motto of life!!